Emotive Behavior Therapy and Flexibility activities on Pain Level among Breast Cancer Patients
Keywords:Emotive Behavior Therapy, Flexibility Activities, Pain Level, Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is one of the most common non-cutaneous malignancies in women. Breast cancer can cause various problems such as fatigue, pain, fear, depression and even decreased quality of life. Pain is one of the most aggravating symptoms of cancer arising from cancer. Alternative treatment with complementary therapies, namely emotive behavior therapy and flexibility activities which can reduce the pain level of breast cancer patients. This study aims to determine the effect of emotive behavior therapy and flexibility activities on the pain level in breast cancer patients. This study quasi experimental used a non-eqiuvalent pre-test and post-test approach control group design involving 42 breast cancer patients. Selected through technique non probability sampling with purposive sampling method is divided into 2 groups, namely 18 respondents in the intervention group who were given emotive behavior therapy and flexibility activities, while 24 respondents in the control group were only given medical therapy according to hospital standards. Measurement of pain intensity was carried out twice before and after treatment, then the data were analyzed using Paired t test and Independent t test. Independent t test showed significant difference p value of 0.001 (<0.05) that the intervention group very well in reducing pain level compared with the control group. The conclusion, emotive behavior therapy and flexibility activities are very effective in reducing pain level in breast cancer patients.
(1) Siegel RL, Miller KD, and Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2016. CA: a cancer journal for clinicians. 2016; 66: 7-30.
(2) WHO. World Health Statistics 2018: Monitoring Health For The SDGs, Sustainable Development Goals. World Health Organization, 2018.
(3) Porth C. Essentials of pathophysiology: concepts of altered health states. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2011.
(4) Stewart B and Wild CP. World cancer report 2014. Public Health. 2019.
(5) Kementrian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. Profil Kesehatan Indonesia 2018. Jakarta: Kementrian Kesehatan RI, 2019.
(6) Kementrian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. Laporan Nasional Riskesdas 2018. Jakarta: Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kesehatan. 2018.
(7) Street W. Cancer Facts & Figures 2019. American Cancer Society: Atlanta, GA, USA. 2019.
(8) Helps TC. Stop Kanker. Jakarta: PT. Agro Media Pustaka, 2010.
(9) Liao M-N, Chen S-C, Lin Y-C, Chen M-F, Wang C-H, and Jane S-W. Education and psychological support meet the supportive care needs of Taiwanese women three months after surgery for newly diagnosed breast cancer: A non-randomized quasi-experimental study. International journal of nursing studies. 2014; 51: 390-9.
(10) Wei D, Liu X-Y, Chen Y-Y, Zhou X, and Hu H-P. Effectiveness of Physical, Psychological, Social, and Spiritual Intervention in Breast Cancer Survivors: An Integrative Review. Asia-Pacific journal of oncology nursing. 2016; 3: 226-32.
(11) Alcorn SR, Balboni MJ, Prigerson HG, et al. “If God wanted me yesterday, I wouldn't be here today”: religious and spiritual themes in patients' experiences of advanced cancer. Journal of palliative medicine. 2010; 13: 581-8.
(12) Javier FO, Irawan C, Mansor MB, Sriraj W, Tan KH, and Thinh DHQ. Cancer pain management insights and reality in Southeast Asia: expert perspectives from six countries. Journal of global oncology. 2016; 2: 235-43.
(13) Breivik H, Cherny N, Collett B, et al. Cancer-related pain: a pan-European survey of prevalence, treatment, and patient attitudes. Annals of oncology. 2009; 20: 1420-33.
(14) Ovayolu Ö, Ovayolu N, Aytaç S, Serçe S and Sevinc A. Pain in cancer patients: pain assessment by patients and family caregivers and problems experienced by caregivers. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2015; 23: 1857-64.
(15) Sandina D. 9 Penyakit Mematikan Mengenali & Tanda Pengobatannya. Yogyakarta: Smart Pustaka, 2011.
(16) Sari M, Dewi YI and Utami A. Hubungan dukungan keluarga terhadap motivasi pasien kanker payudara dalam menjalani Kemoterapi di Ruang Cendrawasih I RSUD Arifin Achmad Provinsi Riau. Jurnal Ners Indonesia. 2012; 2: 158-66.
(17) Brunner LS. Brunner & Suddarth's textbook of medical-surgical nursing. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010.
(18) Rasjidi. Buku Ajar Onkologi Klinik. Jakarta: EGC, 2013.
(19) Ripamonti C, Santini D, Maranzano E, Berti M, Roila F, and Group EGW. Management of cancer pain: ESMO clinical practice guidelines. Annals of oncology. 2012; 23: vii139-vii54.
(20) Astutik P and Kurlinawati E. Pengaruh Relaksasi Genggam Jari Terhadap Penurunan Nyeri Pada Pasien Post Sectio Caesarea. STRADA Jurnal Ilmiah Kesehatan. 2017; 6: 30-7.
(21) Larasati AD, Anggorowati A and Johan A. Manfaat Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR) sebagai intervensi keperawatan dalam meningkatkan Quality of Life (QOL) wanita kanker payudara yang menjalani kemoterapi. Indonesian Journal of Nursing Research (IJNR). 2019; 2.
(22) Fong DY, Ho JW, Hui BP, et al. Physical activity for cancer survivors: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. BMJ. 2012; 344: e70.
(23) Sturgeon M, Wetta-Hall R, Hart T, Good M and Dakhil S. Effects of therapeutic massage on the quality of life among patients with breast cancer during treatment. The journal of alternative and complementary medicine. 2009; 15: 373-80.
(24) Miaskowski C, Dodd M, West C, et al. Randomized clinical trial of the effectiveness of a self-care intervention to improve cancer pain management. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2004; 22: 1713-20.
(25) Foroogh M, Khanehkeshi A and Karimi A. Psychological treatment for pain among cancer patients by rational-emotive behavior therapy-efficacy in India and Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2014; 13: 4561-5.
(26) Ulya FH, Suwandono A, Ariyanti I, Suwondo A, Kumorowulan S, and Pujiastuti SE. Comparison of Effects of Massage Therapy Alone and in Combination With Green Coconut Water Therapy on ?-Endorphin Level in Teenage Girls With Dysmenorrhea. Belitung Nursing Journal. 2017; 3: 412-9
(27) Wahyuningsih IS. Nyeri Pada Pasien Kanker Yang Menjalani Kemoterapi. Unissula Nursing Conference Call for Paper & National Conference. 2018, p. 133-7.
(28) Raphael J, Ahmedzai S, Barrie J, Bennett M, and Fallon M. The British Pain Society's Cancer pain management: a perspective from the British Pain Society, supported by the Association for Palliative Medicine and the Royal College of General Practitioners. London: The British Pain Society. 2010.
(29) Indrawati. Pengaruh Latihan Fisik Terhadap Nyeri Pada Pasien Kanker Payudara Pasca Mastektomi Di RSUD dr. Achmad Mochtar Bukittinggi. 2012.
(30) Sulistini R, Yetti K and Hariyati RTS. Faktor faktor yang mempengaruhi Fatigue Pada Pasien yang menjalani Hemodialisis. Jurnal Keperawatan Indonesia. 2014; 15: 75-82.
(31) Mirawati D, Leni ASM and Wahyuni W. Efektivitas Ice Compress Dan Massage Terhadap Penurunan Nyeri Akibat Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (Doms) Pada Otot Gastrocnemius Mahasiswi Fisioterapi Stikes ‘Aisyiyah Surakarta. Stikes'aisyiyah Surakarta, 2017.
(32) Monica R, Irfannuddin I and Nasution N. Pengaruh latihan fisik intensitas ringan dan sedang terhadap perubahan kadar hormon Beta–Endorphin Mencit (Mus Musculus L.) Hamil. Biomedical Journal of Indonesia. 2017; 3: 91-7.