The Effect of Chewing Gum on Acceleration of hospitalized time stay among Post-Cesarean Section Patients At Kendari City Hospital
Keywords:Cesarean section, chewing gum, days of stay
Cesarean section (CS) is the most significant surgical intervention that affects the central nervous system and slows down the bowel movement after CS. Intervention in the early period after CS is needed to improved bowel function. This study aimed to determine the effect of chewing gum on the acceleration of hospitalized time among post-cesarean section patients at Dewi Sartika Public Hospital. This quasi-experimental study was conducted with 72 patients divided into two groups of such as 36 for the intervention group, and 36 were the control group at Dewi Sartika Public Hospital. For data analysis, A paired T-test was used to describe the mean difference before and after receiving the intervention among the intervention group and the control group. After the 3-day intervention, there was a significant acceleration of hospitalization time in the intervention group (P<0.05) compared to before the intervention. Chewing gum is an effective intervention in accelerating the number of days of stay in post-cesarean section patients
(1) Ledari FM, Barat S, Delavar MA, Banihosini SZ, Khafri S. Chewing sugar-free gum reduces ileus after cesarean section in nulliparous women: a randomized clinical trial. Iran Red Crescent Med J. 2013;15(4):330.
(2) ?zveren AÖ, Dal Ü. The early period complications in patients who were performed abdominal surgery intervention and the nursing practices for these complications. Hacettepe Univ Fac Heal Sci Nurs J. 2011;18:36–46.
(3) Sihombing NM, Saptarini I, Putri DSK. Determinants Persalinan Sectio Caesarea Di Indonesia (Analisis Lanjut Data Riskesdas 2013). Indones J Reprod Heal. 2017;8(1):63–73.
(4) Akyolcu N. Postoperative nursing care. Surg Nurs I Istanbul Nobel Med Bookstores. 2015;2012:357–8.
(5) Potter PA, Perry AG. Buku ajar fundamental keperawatan: konsep, proses, dan praktik. Jakarta Egc. 2005;1.
(6) Kafali H, Duvan CI, Gözdemir E, Simavli S, Onaran Y, Keskin E. Influence of gum chewing on post-operative bowel activity after cesarean section. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2010;69(2):84–7.
(7) Brunner S, Suddarth D. Buku ajar keperawatan medikal bedah. EGC, Jakarta. 2002;
(8) Brunner LS, Smeltzer SCO, Suddarth DS. Brunner & Suddarth’s textbook of medical-surgical nursing; Vol. 1. Language (Baltim). 2010;27:1114-2240p.
(9) Mochtar R. Sinopsis Obstetri: obstetri fisiologi, obstetri patologi. Jakarta EGC. 1998;
(10) Asao T, Kuwano H, Nakamura J, Morinaga N, Hirayama I, Ide M. Gum chewing enhances early recovery from post-operative ileus after laparoscopic colectomy. J Am Coll Surg. 2002;195(1):30–2.
(11) Paul-Rodian T, Alexandru ?, Tapaloaga D, Neagu I, Vasile-Dorel G, Paraschivescu MT, et al. Researches Concerning The Reproduction Activity Analyze In A Dairy Farm Supplying Ploiesti Area. Sci Pap Ser D, Anim Sci Int Sess Sci Commun Fac Anim Sci. 2011;54.
(12) Herman A, Santoso B, Yunitasari E. The Effect of Early Mobilization on Intestinal Peristaltics in Patients after a Cesarean Section in Kendari City Hospital. J Nurs. 2019;14(3):288–91.
(13) Herman A, Santoso B, Yunitasari E. The Effect Of Chewing Gum On Improving The Intestine Peristaltic Among Post Cesarean Sectio Patients At Hospital Of Kendari City. Int J Nurs Heal Serv. 2019;2(3):158–63.
(14) Ciardulli A, Saccone G, Di Mascio D, Caissutti C, Berghella V. Chewing gum improves post-operative recovery of gastrointestinal function after cesarean delivery: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. J Matern Neonatal Med. 2018;31(14):1924–32.
(15) Wen Z, Shen M, Wu C, Ding J, Mei B. Chewing gum for intestinal function recovery after cesarean section: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017;17(1):105.
(16) Su'a BU, Pollock TT, Lemanu DP, MacCormick AD, Connolly AB, Hill AG. Chewing gum and post-operative ileus in adults: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis. Int J Surg. 2015;14:49–55.
(17) Hochner H, Tenfelde SM, Abu Ahmad W, Liebergall?Wischnitzer M. Gum chewing and gastrointestinal function following cesarean delivery: a systematic review and meta?analysis. J Clin Nurs. 2015;24(13–14):1795–804.
(18) Li S, Liu Y, Peng Q, Xie L, Wang J, Qin X. Chewing gum reduces post-operative ileus following abdominal surgery: A meta?analysis of 17 randomized controlled trials. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013;28(7):1122–32.
(19) Lee JT, Hsieh M-H, Cheng P-J, Lin J-R. The role of xylitol gum chewing in restoring post-operative bowel activity after cesarean section. Biol Res Nurs. 2016;18(2):167–72.
(20) Jakkaew B, Charoenkwan K. Effects of gum chewing on recovery of bowel function following cesarean section: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2013;288(2):255–60.