The Effects of Acupressure and Acupuncture as Natural Induction Methods for Spontaneous Labor
A Systematic Review
Keywords:Acupuncture, Acupressure for Induction of Labor, Acupressure for Initiation of Labor, Term Pregnancy
. Induction of labor is high all over the world. Pharmacological and mechanical labor induction is one of the most frequent medical actions in midwifery services across the world. This systematic review aims to analyze the effectiveness of acupressure and acupuncture on the induction of spontaneous labor. Articles were retrieved from PubMed, Google Scholar, and ScienceDirect until March 3rd, 2020. Only articles published from 2010 to 2020 were included. Keywords used consisted of “acupuncture,” “acupressure for induction of labor,” “acupressure for initiation of labor,” “term pregnancy”. Articles were filtered using inclusion criteria. The literature search resulted in 1.365 articles. A total of 9 articles (5 acupressure and 4 acupuncture studies) were included for review. The total number of participants was 1,656 people. One study suggested that acupressure was effective in increasing cervical maturation. Two studies (1 acupressure and 1 acupuncture) stated that it was raised the frequency of initiation of spontaneous labor. One study showed that acupuncture reduced the need for medical induction. Other studies showed no significant effect. Overall, studies demonstrated a positive effect of acupressure and acupuncture on cervical maturation and increasing the frequency of initiations of spontaneous labor. Besides, it may reduce the need for medical induction. Further investigations are needed
Vayssière C, Haumonte JB, Chantry A, Coatleven F, Debord MP, Gomez C, et al. Prolonged and post-term pregnancies: Guidelines for clinical practice from the French College of Gynecologists and Obstetricians (CNGOF). Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2013;169(1):10–6.
(2) Hundley V, Downe S, Buckley SJ. The initiation of labour at term gestation: Physiology and practice implications. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol [Internet]. 2020;(xxxx). Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpobgyn.2020.02.006
(3) Koh LM, Percival B, Pauley T, Pathak S. Complementary therapy and alternative medicine: effects on induction of labour and pregnancy outcome in low risk post-dates women. Heliyon [Internet]. 2019;5(11):e02787. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.heliyon.2019.e02787
(4) Marconi AM. Recent advances in the induction of labor. F1000Research. 2019;8:1829.
(5) Coates D, Makris A, Catling C, Henry A, Scarf V, Watts N, et al. A systematic scoping review of clinical indications for induction of labour [Internet]. Vol. 15, PLoS ONE. 2020. 1–42 p. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0228196
(6) Monteschio LVC, Sgobero JCGS, Oliveira RR de, Serafim D, Mathias TA de F. Prevalence Of Medicalization Of Labor And Delivery In The Public Health Network. Ciência, Cuid e Saúde. 2016;15(4):591.
(7) Thomas J, Fairclough A, Kavanagh J, Kelly AJ. Vaginal prostaglandin (PGE2 and PGF2a) for induction of labour at term. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;2014(6).
(8) Sheibani L, Wing DA. A safety review of medications used for labour induction. Expert Opin Drug Saf [Internet]. 2018;17(2):161–7. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1080/14740338.2018.1404573
(9) Zourob H, Abu El Aish K. Safety and efficacy of different prostaglandins used at term pregnancy for labour induction: a comparative study. Lancet [Internet]. 2019;393:S19. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(19)30605-1
(10) Akuamoah-Boateng J, Spencer R. Woman-centered care: Women’s experiences and perceptions of induction of labor for uncomplicated post-term pregnancy: A systematic review of qualitative evidence. Midwifery [Internet]. 2018;67(August):46–56. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.midw.2018.08.018
(11) Gatward H, Simpson M, Woodhart L, Stainton MC. Women’s experiences of being induced for post-date pregnancy. Women and Birth [Internet]. 2010;23(1):3–9. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wombi.2009.06.002
(12) Gommers JSM, Diederen M, Wilkinson C, Turnbull D, Mol BWJ. Risk of maternal, fetal and neonatal complications associated with the use of the transcervical balloon catheter in induction of labour: A systematic review. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol [Internet]. 2017;218:73–84. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ejogrb.2017.09.014
(13) Mccarthy FP. Induction of labour. Obstet Gynaecol Reprod Med [Internet]. 2013;24(1):9–15. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ogrm.2013.11.004
(14) Zamawe C, King C, Jennings HM, Mandiwa C, Fottrell E. Effectiveness and safety of herbal medicines for induction of labour: A systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ Open [Internet]. 2018;8(10):1–9. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6196873/
(15) Mollart LJ, Adam J, Foureur M. Impact of acupressure on onset of labour and labour duration: A systematic review. Women and Birth [Internet]. 2015;28(3):199–206. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wombi.2015.03.007
(16) Smith C, Armour M, Hg D. Acupuncture or acupressure for induction of labour ( Review ) summary of findings for the masin comparison. Cochrane Database Syst Rev [Internet]. 2017;(10):1–126. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD002962.pub4.
(17) Mollart L, Skinner V, Foureur M. A feasibility randomised controlled trial of acupressure to assist spontaneous labour for primigravid women experiencing a post-date pregnancy. Midwifery [Internet]. 2016;36:21–7. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.midw.2016.02.020
(18) Gregson S, Tiran D, Absalom J, Older L, Bassett P. Acupressure for inducing labour for nulliparous women with post-dates pregnancy. Complement Ther Clin Pract [Internet]. 2015;21(4):257–61. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2015.07.003
(19) Neri I, Pignatti L, Fontanesi F, Facchinetti F. Acupuncture in Postdate Pregnancy Management. JAMS J Acupunct Meridian Stud [Internet]. 2018;11(5):332–6. Available from: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jams.2018.06.001
(20) Neri I, Monari F, Midwife CS, Facchinetti F. Acupuncture in post-date pregnancy: A pilot study. J Matern Neonatal Med [Internet]. 2014;27(9):874–8. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/14767058.2013.845158
(21) Torkzahrani S, Mahmoudikohani F, Saatchi K, Sefidkar R, Banaei M. The effect of acupressure on the initiation of labor: A randomized controlled trial. Women and Birth [Internet]. 2017;30(1):46–50. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.wombi.2016.07.002
(22) Torkzahrani S, Ghobadi K, Heshmat R, Shakeri N, Aria KJ. Effect of acupressure on cervical ripening. Iran Red Crescent Med J [Internet]. 2015;17(8). Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5812/ircmj.28691
(23) Teimoori B, Rajabi S, Navvabi-Rigi SD, Arbabisarjou A. Evaluation effect of shiatsu technique on labor induction in post-term pregnancy. Glob J Health Sci [Internet]. 2015;7(3):177–83. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.5539/gjhs.v7n3p177
(24) Ajori L, Nazari L, Eliaspour D. Effects of acupuncture for initiation of labor: A double-blind randomized sham-controlled trial. Arch Gynecol Obstet [Internet]. 2013;287(5):887–91. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00404-012-2674-y
(25) Modlock J, Nielsen BB, Uldbjerg N. Acupuncture for the induction of labour: A double-blind randomised controlled study. BJOG An Int J Obstet Gynaecol. 2010;117(10):1255–61.
(26) Wang M. Translational Acupuncture Research [Internet]. Translational Acupuncture Research. Springer International Publishing; 2019. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-16089-0_1
(27) Makvandi S, Mirzaiinajmabadi K, Sadeghi R, Mahdavian M, Karimi L. Meta-analysis of the effect of acupressure on duration of labor and mode of delivery. Int J Gynecol Obstet [Internet]. 2016; Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijgo.2016.04.017
(28) Smith C, Armour M, Hg D. Acupuncture or acupressure for induction of labour ( Review ) summary of findings for the masin comparison. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;(10):1–126.
(29) Carlson NS, Hernandez TL, Hurt KJ. Parturition dysfunction in obesity: Time to target the pathobiology. Reprod Biol Endocrinol [Internet]. 2015;13(1):1–14. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12958-015-0129-6
(30) Ibanez G, Charles MA, Forhan A, Magnin G, Thiebaugeorges O, Kaminski M, et al. Depression and anxiety in women during pregnancy and neonatal outcome: Data from the EDEN mother-child cohort. Early Hum Dev [Internet]. 2012;88(8):643–9. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.earlhumdev.2012.01.014
(31) Lowdermilk,Leonard D. Maternity Nursing. 8th ed. Canada: MOSBY ELSEVIER; 2010.
- 2021-01-15 (2)
- 2020-12-22 (1)