Effect of Guava Juice and Papaya Juice on Increasing the Hemoglobin Levels among Pregnant Women
Keywords:Guava Juice, Papaya Juice, Hemoglobin, Pregnant Women
Anemia is a significant public health problem with a prevalence of about 2 billion around the world. Consuming the iron (Fe) tablets or foods containing iron were strategies for preventing iron deficiency. Vitamin C or ascorbic acid can increase iron absorption 4-fold, and an amount of 200 mg will increase iron absorption by at least 30%. Guava (Psidium Guajava) and papaya (Carica Papaya Linn) are examples of fruits that contain lots of ascorbic acids. The study aimed to investigate red guava juice and papaya juice on hemoglobin levels in pregnant women. This study applied the pre-experimental research with two groups, pre-test and post-test, without the control group. Thirty pregnant women were divided into two groups, such as group 1 received the Guava (n=15), and group 2 received the papaya (n=15). A paired T-test was used to test the mean value of pre-test and post-test within the group. An Independent t-test was done to determine the difference between groups. This study showed an increase in hemoglobin after two weeks of guava juice and papaya juice supplementation. However, the Independent t-test showed no significant difference between the two groups with a value of 0.617 (p >0.05). Both supplementations of 200 ml/day red guava juice and papaya juice with iron tablets for 14 weeks are equally effective in increasing hemoglobin levels in second and third-trimester pregnant women
(1) Mega, Wijayanegara H, Hartiningsih SS, Welcome MO, Dane S. Effects of Red Guava Juice on Hemoglobin and Hematocrit Levels in Female Adolescent Students with Anemia. Journal of Research in Medical and Dental Science [Internet]. 2019;7(3):107–12. Available from: https://www.jrmds.in/abstract/effects-of-red-guava-juice-on-hemoglobin-and-hematocrit-levels-in-female-adolescent-students-with-anemia-44017.html
(2) Indonesia PK. Profil Kesehatan Indonesia 2017. 2018;
(3) Wahyuntari E, Wahtini S. The effect of guava juice on hemoglobin levels in pregnant women. International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2020;8(2):508.
(4) Rahman MM, Ngadan DP, Arif MT. Factors affecting satisfaction on antenatal care services in Sarawak, Malaysia: evidence from a cross-sectional study. SpringerPlus. 2016;5(1).
(5) Satyam P, Khushbu Y. Maternal Anemia in Pregnancy?: An Overview. International Journal of Pharmacy & Pharmaceutical Research. 2015;2(2):144–55.
(6) Wiknjosastro G.H. Ilmu kebidanan. Jakarta; 2009. 133–135 p.
(7) Pasricha SR. Anemia: A comprehensive global estimate. Blood. 2014.
(8) Brunton LL, Chabner BA, Knollmann BC. Goodman&Gillman The Pharmacological Basic Of Therapeutics. Goodman and Gilman’s The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics. 2011.
(9) Jafarbegloo E, Tehran HA, Tehrani TD. Gastrointestinal complications of ferrous sulfate in pregnant women: A randomized, double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal. 2015;17(8).
(10) Barirah, Runjati, Widyati MN, Pujiastuti SE. Differences Effect of Supplement Red Guava Juice with Red Dragon Fruit Juice to Increase Hemoglobin Levels in Postpartum Mother with Anemia. International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) [Internet]. 2018;7(9):374–8. Available from: https://www.ijsr.net/archive/v7i9/ART20191185.pdf
(11) Ani LS. Buku Saku Anemia Defisiensi Besi: Masa Prahamil dan Hamil. Jakarta: EGC; 2013.
(12) Pada H, Hamil I, Anindita AR, Novyriana E. Penerapan Pemberian Tablet Zat Besi Ditambah Papaya ( Carica Papaya Linn ) Terhadap Peningkatan Kadar. In: The 10th University Research Colloqium 2019. 2019. p. 288–94.
(13) Garcia-Bailo B, El-Sohemy A, Haddad PS, Arora P, Benzaied F, Karmali M, et al. Vitamins D, C, and E in the prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus: Modulation of inflammation and oxidative stress. Biologics: Targets and Therapy. 2011.
(14) Apollo Sinaga F, Risfandi M. The Effect of Giving Red Guava Fruit Juice Towards Haemoglobin and Vo2max Contents on Maximum Physical Activity. International Journal of Science and Research. 2015;6(9):1185–9.
(15) Ersila W, Prafitri LD. Efektifitas Pemberian Tablets Zat Besi Ditambah Pepaya (Carica Papaya L) Terhadap Peningkatan Kadar Hemoglobin Pada Remaja Putri Anemia Di Stikes Muhammadiyah Pekajangan Tahun 2016. In: The 4 th Univesity Research Coloquium 2016 [Internet]. 2016. p. 67–75. Available from: http://hdl.handle.net/11617/7778
(16) Eliagita C, Kuntjoro T, Sumarni S, Suwondo A, Hadisaputro S, Eliagita C, et al. Effect Of Consuming Papaya (Carica Papaya Linn.) On The Level Of Hemoglobin And Hematocrit In Pregnant Women With Anemia. Belitung Nursing Journal. 2017;3(2):12